- 10:00 am to 1.00 pm
- 5:00 pm to 8.00 pm
Ask the Experts
The ILIZAROV treatment is a highly successful orthopedic surgical technique designed to lengthen or straighten bone and soft tissue. Additionally, the ILIZAROV technique and the innovative device can sometimes save limbs that might otherwise be amputated.
The Ilizarov apparatus are used in surgical procedures to lengthen or reshape limb bones. In addition, the procedure is often used to treat complex and/or open bone fractures, where conventional treatment techniques cannot be used. It can also be used to treat infected non-unions of bones not amenable with other techniques.
Symptoms of Ilizarov Surgery
The Symptoms of illizarov surgery include:
- An explosive blast or violent impact or shaking of your head often makes you feel like you’ve got a concussion. This is known as traumatic brain injury.
- Difficulties with attention, concentration and memory along with headaches or ringing in the ears may signal lingering effects.
- Look for light-headedness, irritability and impaired decision making,
Ilizarov Surgery Treatments of Dr. Raviprakash
The Ilizarov method carries many advantages over other methods for limb reconstruction:
- The modular design of the apparatus allows the frame to be custom built for each individual patient.
- The circular nature of the frame both enhances stability and evenly distributes the stress across the corticotomy and the distraction gap.
- The structure and strength of the frame allows weight bearing throughout the treatment, which is beneficial to the patient both in terms of day to day mobility and helping to build muscle strength and prevent joint stiffness (Mencio, 1992).
- When the frame is applied to the limb during surgery, only wires fix the bones to the rings, and no other skin incisions are made, which reduces the risk of bleeding, infection, and damage to the surrounding soft tissues
For the treatment of dwarfism with the Ilizarov method, the child's development must be completed. This period is stated as 16 for girls and 17-18 for boys.
Although this treatment is thought to be beneficial for children, the same results can be achieved for adults. However, the fact that children recover much faster and their bones form much faster causes this kind of perception. While the 6cm defect in adults can be closed in eight months, this period can be completed in five months in children. Pediatric patients can adapt to the device much more quickly. They can run, fall and play games by acting as if there are no devices in their bodies. Families experience the biggest concern in this regard because they think that children will be uncomfortable with this. However, treatment can be started in children who have reached the age of three and it can be seen that they adapt very easily.
- First of all, it is very important for the patient to carry out daily wire medical dressing as described, to pay attention to the cleanliness of the device and, if possible, to protect the system from the external environment with a special garment.
- The patient should perform the movements described by the doctor regularly in order not to encounter joint movement limitation.
- Unless stated otherwise, should be walked with as much weight given as possible to speed up the treatment process and prevent problems that may develop.
- To complete the treatment successfully, smoking should be avoided and smoking environments should be avoided.
- Medicines containing vitamins and calcium recommended by the doctor should be used regularly.
- It is important to consume plenty of milk and dairy products (yogurt, cheese, etc.)
For the treatment of open injuries, complex fracture, exposed bone surgery.
Sometimes we are able to help with travel expenses. This will depend on your personal circumstances. It may be necessary that we book hospital transport for you (either a car or ambulance). Please ask the Ilizarov Clinical Nurse who will contact the Medical Social Worker on your behalf. You may also be eligible for Disability Living Allowance if you are aged less than 65 years of age, where the disability has persisted for more than 3 months and will continue for at least 6 months.
Self care remedies for illizarov surgery include:
Try to lead as normal a life as possible Seeing friends and family, getting out, and doing things you enjoy are all important for someone’s well-being during treatment and recovery.
Fatigue It may be easier to sit to do household tasks such as preparing meals, getting dressed or sorting laundry. Online shopping and home delivery, and pre-prepared meals or ingredients can be helpful.
Carrying Items Using an over the shoulder or cross body bag or a rucksack might be useful for carrying a drink bottle and other items. Some people attach a shopping bag onto walking frame handles. A thermos flask is useful for hot drinks or soups and can be placed in a bag to transport. A kitchen trolley may be useful to move whole meals from your kitchen work surface to table.
Bathing It is ok to shower your limb with the frame as long as none of your pin sites are infected. Don’t submerge the frame in water and avoid perfumed soaps or shower gels (baby shampoos are best). You need to thoroughly dry your frame with a fresh towel and clean all of your pin-sites after every shower.
Sleeping Using extra pillows may be useful to position your limb and if you have a frame on your lower limb you may like to use a pillow or a foam wedge to stop your other leg rubbing against the frame. Some people use a bed cradle or frame and a mattress protector or a sheepskin to protect their sheets and mattress from the frame.
Clothing You may need to adapt the clothes you wear to fit over the rings of the frame. Some tracksuits have zips or poppers on the outer legs which can fit over the frame. You may find you need a size larger. Some patients prefer to wear shorts or skirts.